Red Clay Boxes were conceived and piloted in 2015 as a way to bring fresh organics to a market hungry for local produce, and to help support the farmers and community projects that happen at Red Clay.
Red Clay food boxes come in two sizes, Fox boxes and Bear boxes.
What is the Red Clay Food Box CSA?
Fresh garden vegetables and fruit if available, tending to favour the season such as salad greens, herbs, beet greens and peas etc early to carrots, squash, potatoes apples etc later
The Red Clay ethic is to produce our vegetables organically, using balanced garden techniques without chemical pesticides and to harvest and deliver as close to harvest as possible.
A weekly newsletter tells the story of the farm, sent before your box arrives to let you know what is in store for the next delivery, and the successes and challenges of producing your food. We’ll include some photos about the gardens and generally a few things about life on the farm.
Every once in a while we’ll sneak a surprise into your box. It might be a jar of fresh jam or a cup of blueberries.
Subscribers can also sign up for weekly free range eggs. Other farm produce is available each week including unpasteurized honey and a few other goodies that we will tell you about later.
This year, we will offering just 15 subscriptions in Halifax. If you are interested, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be offering subscriptions on a first come first serve basis. The CSA will be organized as follows:
- We be doing just 10 deliveries over the 14 week season beginning on July 11th.
- Each subscription will be for 8 deliveries and will cost $155.00.
- Subscribers can opt out of 2 deliveries during the season (if you are going to be away) by simply responding to the newsletter by email (If you want all 10 deliveries, you can add two extra deliveries towards the end of the season).
- All CSA customers will receive our newsletter prior to each delivery day. We’ll give you 2-3 weeks notice about delivery days along with a list of fruit and veggies to be provided in each delivery.
- Deliveries will be Thursdays after supper.
- We use organic farming methods and never use chemical pesticides. Its a labour-intensive way to grow food but its our commitment to you. Each food box has $24 in fresh produce.
- We may have early boxes (before July 11th). If you are a subscriber, we’ll let you know and you can sign up. It’s been a late spring so we can’t predict it just yet.
- If you are interested in the CSA but cannot commit to a subscription, just ask to be on our mailing list and we will include you when we send out our newsletters. If there are extra boxes, we’ll let you know and you can reserve one. The cost is $24 per box.
To sign up, send us an email at email@example.com. You can pay via interac transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.